Sunday, January 12, 2014

A "Permanent" Home

If you move abroad and are assigned agencies to "look after you" and "help make the move seamless" - I will give you this advice, always remember they are there to check off a task as complete so you ALWAYS have to be your own advocate, even if you have to push a little.

I looked at a lot of apartments in Paris and the woman who brought be around was good. But quality and quantity are two different things - I obviously was not moving into the one apartment that had construction outside so the shutters were forced shut. Nope, dungeon living is not for me, sorry! I found a wonderful apartment near St Michel metro and was truly crushed when I did not get it, someone else had put in their application first. So I kept searching which was tough as I am trying to also get settled in my job.

The quest continued until the agency said I MUST select one of the apartments today. Mind you - in my contract I had up to 60 days of temporary housing so truly there was no reason I had to choose then and there while I was already asking them about moving out in a few months because I knew in my heart it was not right. That question did not phase them, they just wanted to be done with me.

I had lunch over the weekend with a friend of a friend, a true Parisian, who lives in the 9th and we strolled along Rue Des Martyrs, it was a great neighborhood with a market along the road (food & antiques) on Sundays. This lunch motivated me to go home, hope on the computer and keep looking. I expanded my search and found a place online that honestly seemed too good to be true. A tad over my budget (you only live in Paris once, right?) but it looked really nice and like a home, or at least something that I could call my home for two years. I sent out an email but as it was Sunday I knew I would have to await a response on Monday.

Long story short, the agent was great and I ran off in the afternoon to meet him at the apartment and as soon as I walked in I new it was the one. Two bedrooms plus an office with a futon, a great entryway, actual dining room table - it was perfect!

After a lot of paperwork - I am happy to say that this is my Parisian home and oh how I loooooove it!





No comments:

Post a Comment